Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Terence McKenna

I love him. He is such a holy madman, a true continuation of those wild-eyed, locust-eating prophets. I've read Food of the Gods and True Hallucinations as part of my research for the adult novel I am writing. Here's a brilliant quote regarding the Big Bang:
We are asked by science to believe that the entire universe sprang from nothingness, at a single point and for no discernible reason. This notion is the limit case for credulity. In other words, if you can believe this, you can believe anything.

2 comments:

Ramona Daniel Gault said...

Hello Ms. Melling, my first visit here. I just finished "Hunter's Moon" last night, the first novel of yours I've read but definitely not to be the last! I especially appreciate your depth of knowledge of Irish mythology and history. But regarding this post, you are aware that Mr. McKenna died in 2000? I believe he was truly only lent to us for a while from Faery.

OR Melling said...

Thanks for your lovely comment on my work, Ramona. Ah yes, I did know he died. I have a tendency to speak of writers in the present tense (present historical?) whether they are on this side or t'other. I agree with you. A fairy-man par excellence. Irish blood there, of course, which is known to be mixed with the Fey Folk.